For many years Winkler Partners has aimed to reduce our negative impact on the natural environment, while looking for meaningful ways where we can create positive impact, both in our immediate community and further afield. In 2006, we set up a Green Office Department that coordinates office greening, looks for ways to reduce energy usage, promotes the use of environmentally friendly products and services, and shares our experience with other businesses and our community by inviting them to visit our offices and roof garden. As part of that commitment, we publish annual reports on our progress. At a glance, in 2020 we:
- Achieved carbon neutrality. Winkler Partners is now a carbon neutral business.
- Generated 13,458 kilowatt hours of electricity from our rooftop solar panels.
- Purchased green energy certificates covering the remaining electricity we used. This means that 100% of our electricity is sustainably sourced.
- Entered into a direct power purchase agreement to source renewable energy (rooftop solar and onshore wind) supplying 90% of our energy needs from 2021 onward.
- Reduced printed paper usage by 28%.
- Offset our international travel emissions, which in 2020 were 3 tons, down 95% from 2019 levels due to the pandemic. We did this through a fellow B Corporation, Climate Care.
- Offset the remaining emissions, 12 tons, through a Gold Standard project in Changhua County, Taiwan.
Goals for 2021
This year, we will look for ways to remove our historical emissions (2002 onward) from the environment. This could be achieved by participating in reforestation projects or through offsetting. We will also continue to strengthen our in-house waste reduction policies, as this year our general waste increased by 32%. This could be in part due to an increase in the use of disposable face masks and other PPE because of the pandemic.
Our full environmental report is available in English here and Chinese here. For inquiries regarding our energy saving initiatives or our roof garden, please contact City Shen at firstname.lastname@example.org.